Friday, 30 November 2007

Door County

Sit tight, folks - I'm about to blog at the speed of sound, in order to update you on my thrilling life before I board a plane back home again. (Actually, that's not until tomorrow, but I still feel a needless sense of urgency.)

So, on Monday morning the Rubettes, along with 'Emily' ( read on...) headed north to Wisconsin. Emily, in case you were wondering, is Dr P's Sat Nav. She's set to speak to with an English voice and, apparently, she's called Emily. She's also indispensible! It was quite a long drive to Door County, WI (about 4 hours) but thankfully the Mouse and TR both napped and snacks and story CDs filled in the gaps.


The real reason it took us so long to drive to Wisconsin!


It seemed colder in Wisconsin - certainly they'd had more snow (although still not in the quantities we were hoping for, but never mind). Being America's dairyland there were also a lot of cows to be seen - and a lot of red barns. One thing I've really loved about being over here is that a lot of the architecture makes me feel like I'm in the middle of a big vintage Fisher Price set! The red barns definitely add to that feel.


Once we got to Door County, and Fish Creek in particular, we set about finding some accommodation. Not too hard, as only two establishments were open. We settled on the Applecreek Resort Motel and were given a 'luxury suite' (one of the benefits of holidaying off-season), complete with fireplace. It was a gas fire, so no worries about TR falling into it. You know how, in the UK, you read a cottage holiday description and it says, 'with 'living flame effect' gas fire' and you know that's shorthand for 'some poxy little thing that wouldn't look out of place in your nan's front room'? Well, this was much nicer - looked like a real fire, chucked out loads of heat and had a cover so TR really couldn't get too close - despite his best efforts.



Us on our very own verandah.


The other big deal about the room was that Mr Ruby and I had a fold-down bed. Cool! I felt like someone from a Hanna-Barbera cartoon!


Anyway, my excitement, over being like Hong-Kong Phooey, almost out of the way, we headed out to eat. We settled on the White Gull Inn, being as how it was the only place open, and had the most delicious meal there. Oh my, I am going weak at the knees, just remembering it! I had butternut squash ravioli. Now, banish from your thoughts any lingering nightmares concerning Heinz tinned ravioli, because this nothing like it. Mmmm-mmm-mmmmmMMMM! Mr Ruby had shrimp, TR had a burger (not your McDonalds sponge scourer, but a lovely home-made burger) and the Mouse had sauteed chicken breast. All four diners were greatly taken with their meals.


So that was Monday: a long drive, a delicous meal, a luxury suite and a fold-down bed. Not bad!

No comments: