Wednesday, 21 November 2007

Only in America!

Yesterday we all boarded the train at Grayslake and went to Chicago. The Mouse loved the train ride and was actually disappointed when we reached Chicago, over an hour later! It was a double-decker train, so pretty exciting for her. Both Terrier900 and the Mouse were clutching their American Girl dolls in preparation for...

...our visit to American Girl Place. Now, you have to understand that these dolls are a big deal over here and the whole thing is not just about having a doll to play with, but kind of about embracing an outlook on life. As I say, only in America. OK, so now I've made it sound like a cult, whereas in reality the dolls are of a really nice quality and you can buy into the whole lifestyle thing if you want...but the Mouse and Terrier900 just play with them - like you're meant to.



The Mouse and Terrier900 do a bit of window shopping.

Mr Ruby was struck by how 'middle class' it was there - a uniformed doorman greets you as you walk in (no, really!) and the place is full of beautifully dressed little girls in woollen coats, clutching their equally beautifully dressed dolls. Some of the girls were even dressed just like their dolls, which is either weird or cute, depending on your outlook. I had inadvertently dressed the Mouse rather like the prairie homestead doll, but that's just an occupational hazard for her - wardrobe full of hand-me-downs and a mother obsessed with Little House on the Prairie.

Mainly, American Girl Place a big shop, but there is also a doll's hospital, a hair salon for dolls (more on that, later), a restaurant where you can have tea with your doll (they have booster seats for the dolls - no word of a lie!) and a theatre where you can see shows featuring doll characters.

The Mouse already has Felicity, who I believe is the first doll they made. She's one of the historical characters. For some time now, she has had her heart set on acquiring an Elizabeth doll (Felicity's best friend). She is happy for me to report that she now has Elizabeth, as her early Christmas present. I don't think she really relaxed until she knew Elizabeth was safely purchased, such was her excitement.

Once our shopping was done (Dr Tennant, I hope you're impressed) we booked Felicity and Terrier900's Nicki in for their hair salon appointments (Y'know, I can scarcely believe I am typing this!) and then repaired to Borders for our lunch. (Packed lunches, so we had to be a bit furtive about it.) Even the Mouse, who is known for her gallic approach to extending a lunchtime well into the afternoon, ate fairly quickly, for fear of missing Felicity's hair appointment. (Yeah I know - it's like we side-stepped into a parallel universe, isn't it?)

Back at the salon, Felicity and Nicki were sat in little salon chairs, while a guy called Chris sprayed and brushed their hair and then a girl called Amy styled their hair. Both these people were great - chatting to the girls and engaging them in conversation. The Mouse's 'cute British accent' stood her in good stead here.

"Just a little off the back please, Antoine."

We then walked to Millennium Park, where we listened to carol singers under the big silver 'bean' and then had dinner in an English Pub (again - no, really we did!).



A wet and foggy Chicago, reflected in 'the Bean'.

So, there you go - that was our day in Chicago. TR slept through most of the American Girl experience, which was most probably a good thing. However, on the way home, he called me 'Mummy' for the first time. Well, actually it was more like 'uh-ee', but the cockles of my heart were still greatly warmed.

TR learns, early in life, what to do when the women go shopping.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad the females had a good time in the Doll's Shop, I remember it well, typical American. Hope you have some more snow for the younger one's to play in and the older one's to build a snowman. Enjoy your Thankgiving day.

Debbie said...

Blimey, what an experience! Think I'd be a little frecked out....but then I'm not a "doll" kind of gal. So glad Mouse & Terrier900 got to make the most of their trip there....hope Mouse will tell me all about it when I next see her.

Wise-egg said...

Is Favourite Dolly likewise coiffured?