This morning, the Mouse, Dr X, Terrier900 and I headed out to 'the barn' to watch Terrier900's riding lesson. Terrier900 got to have her first lesson at riding bareback and the Mouse enjoyed cantering around on her imaginary pony, Jenny. Meanwhile, Mr Ruby, Dr P and TR stayed back at the ranch, doing manly things.
This afternoon, Dr X took all three children to the park, while Mr Ruby tended to some pumpkin bread and Dr P and I went shopping at Jewel-Osco. Tragic geek-housewife confession coming up: I love food shopping when I'm on holiday. Ah - the sights, the sounds, the smell, the food that looks almost like the stuff you buy at home and yet not quite... Mainly, I read labels. The food intolerances mentioned in my previous entry mean that I read a lot of labels. Sad, but true. Anyway, I found the Mouse's favourite brand of Rice milk so she and I are happy. Jewel rules!
Speaking of things which are the same but different, the Mouse was greatly amused by traffic lights today. I think because at home we have them on poles and here they string them across the street on wires. This may have added to her belief, as stated yesterday that, 'We live in England and that is part of the world, but you live in America and that is somewhere completely different, isn't it?' Occasionally I contemplate the idea of home educating but this would clearly be a bad idea for us. On more than one occasion I have tried to teach the Mouse about the world we live in. Not very well, evidently.
OK, Mr Ruby and Dr P's parents should look away now, as today's picture shows Dr P clearing the leaves out of the guttering. It's not for the faint-hearted but does show off-piste use of the leaf-blower. Mr Ruby claims such activities are outside the remit of our travel insurance, so he stayed down on the lawn, in charge of the rake - and the camera.
(Edited your nickname, Terrier900. xx)
.jpg)
7 comments:
Oooh! I like Rice Milk too. Me and Mouse would get on great :-)
I have to admit it did take me a while to realise I was reading the right blog. Mrs. Ruby indeed!
I have to agree with you Mrs.Ruby, I think food shoping aboard is so much fun....why is that?....maybe b/c I love to put on my best American accent I play a local...LOL.
*sharp-in-take-of-breath....at the latest photo*....sister of Dr.P needs to sit down now.
((hugs)) all around. xx
Your website rules! To the top of the charts!
Rose
BTW Please change my alias to "Terrier900" my webkinz name. Rose is too girly, my dad should have known better... He wasn't thinking RIGHT
Great picture..... i agree with red-specs-gal, shopping aboard is really cool, untill you put on your american accent and embarrass everyone! hope your having a great time xx
Very good report,keep it up.
Tell Dr P that in England we have very strict health and safety rules and they do not seem to have them in America. Tell him to be careful. Hope TR is enjoying his first trip.
What I want to know is, how does Jewel-Osco "take one-stop shopping to the next level"? Is that simply by means of an escalator?
I had an American friend round this evening and she was feeling a little wistful about not celebrating Thanksgiving in the UK. My vicar friend, John, said that his son celebrates Thanksgiving (in Oxford I think) and one year dressed up as a Puritan. But most importantly, is there any sign of snow where you are?
Enjoy the pumpkin pie. Miss you all.
Wise-Egg
Post a Comment